HTML

home page recipes page techniques page

Monday, October 28, 2013

Mexican Shepherds Pie

Does this photo look familiar? Yes! It is from last weeks blog post! You may have wondered what was going to happen to all of the delicious pork that Geoff and Tim smoked.  Well, not to worry, it was all gobbled up, by the lucky guests at the party and some other very grateful diners as well. Here is Bev's sister, Nancy, guest blogging this week, about " Bev! What did you do with all of that pork?"



Wait a minute. I read the blog entry “Pig Roast” and thought to myself: “Looked like Geoff invited about 5 guys.” Combined with reduced numbers in both the Seegmiller, Witzel and Schumacher families, I thought “what will they do with all that food?” In the tradition of Oktoberfest, the feast was shared, beer was consumed, and the party started. And it continued at a local beer hall. Leaving the question of what to do with the leftovers to Bev.
There are only so many pulled-pork sandwiches that you can eat. And freezer space is limited. And there are so many other people in need. Bev contacted Mary's Place , an emergency shelter in Ktichener, for women and children. They gratefully accepted her offer of a hot meal for their residents. She also phoned her poor dear sister (me) and asked if she could bring a meal to me and my family.
No, I am not in dire straights. I have teen-aged kids, and a husband who works from home, and they are all handy in the kitchen. They each have their busy lives to attend to, and I have recently injured my back and have been told to take it easy. For 12 weeks. No small task. Yes. Someone else thinking about dinner was more than appreciated.
Bev arrived at the door with dinner for, ok, about 10. She gave me a full dose of sympathy, and offered to pour the wine (No go with my meds.). Her “Former-Pork-Roast-now-Shepherd’s-Pie” was a hit with everyone. Her recipe follows: it’s a great combination of delish roasted pork, locally available produce (sweet potatoes, apples) and a dash of spice. My friends at Plan BOrganics Farm would be proud. Bev had a bit of a challenge with my food sensitivities (no tomato), but she came out with a winner by channeling her years of cooking for food lovers, and perhaps a bit of Michael Smith.
Whenever I catch up with my friends at Gathering Around the Grill, I am impressed by their love of family, their sense of adventure (catering a wedding out on a Georgian Bay rock, you say?) and their joy in bringing food to others. Thanks Bev. And thanks Kris for offering further inspiration by saying “just wing it.”


So, here it is: Bev's recipe for Mexican Shepherds Pies!


Mexican shepherds pie

As much leftover pork as you can find that has been sitting in pork BBQ sauce for a few days
(see last weeks blog post!)
Corn
Red pepper
Onion

Garlic
Cilantro
Salt
Pepper
Cumin

Sweet potatoes
Carrrots
Garlic
butter

Roast sweet potatoes, carrots and garlic in the oven until tender. Mash with butter. Set aside.

Sauté onion until soft. Add red pepper, jalapeno, corn, garlic, salt pepper and cumin.

Add leftover pork to sautéed vegetables. Dump into aluminum lasagna pan. Top veg/pork mix with mashed sweet potatoes

Deliver to sister who is flat on her back with bulging disk.
Heat in oven until warmed through.



Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment